Friday, February 22, 2013

The Journey...

Ahhh...the topic I have been so hesitant to write on....
I feel so vulnerable, but, I know I am not alone....
Here we go...

I do not ever recall a time in my life when I was happy with my body. You see, I was a very competitive dancer and even though I had NO reason to feel insecure about my body, I did. I was 10 when I went through puberty, and I grew like a beanstalk overnight and there were curves that I did not want. I looked like a giant in the age group I was competing in, and clearly did not fit in. I remember my dance teacher talking to me and my mom. She wanted to give me a change with the "older" girls but was worried about the age difference. We gave it a try. I truly flourished with my dancing when I moved up. However, I was in the awkward stage and no one else seemed to be there. I had the bushy eyebrows and wasn't sure how to use my new curves, on top of that, I was getting tormented in school because of my height and curves. It was a difficult time for me. I danced for a few more years and started to become comfortable. But then, HS came along. I wanted a bit more freedom to play other sports and try new things. I quit dance. I went from activity levels of over 35 hours a week to levels of about 20. A big difference, but I still worked out. I think I was comfortable in my skin for 1 year and that was it. Pathetic really. In Junior year, I tried not eating and over exercising, that was not a smart option. So then college came. I went from this 20 hour exercise regime to now the gym a few times a week and coaching. And your eating habits change big time in college! I was told this would happen and since I never really had to worry about what I was eating (meaning, I was burning off everything anyway), I just did not understand. So, I gained a little bit of weight and I was okay. Then, I stopped coaching and started a master's program and gained more bad habits (barley sleeping, not eating much, eating the wrong foods, putting my health last) and put on a bit more weight...Ughh I hate writing this...Regroup!

Into my master's program, I just was not feeling well. I was exhausted and not sleeping well. My stomach was being difficult (would randomly vomit, was not digesting properly) and I really did not do anything about it. Why? because my master's program was the be all and end all...Oh hindsight you are so evil! Anyway, I had gotten a terrible stomach bug in my 2nd and final year. I was so sick for 2 weeks, even my liver function was impacted. I missed some school and some of my internship. I was told I should have followed up with some more testing, but I just ignored it! I had so much to catch up on! So I went on with my stomach, energy way down and my weight going way up!

 I really ignored it up until I had another episode like I did in grad school, this time, I did not ignore it. This time I needed to get my gallbladder removed, and removed it we did! It was quite a bit after surgery until i was eating normal foods again (corn chips, ensure shakes, and ice pops were my diet for a LONG time), and when i felt great I decided the weight HAD to come off! I went to WW with the support of my family and I had a WW buddy. It went great for the first 1.5 months, until my stomach started hurting again :-( I went for every test imaginable, did diet changes, new medicines, everything.

 To this day, I am not 100% and I still struggle. Even with this struggle, I am still better and now can undo the damage I have done. I walked into WW the week before thanksgiving and have lost 12 lbs. I love that on WW you have the flexibility to eat more than a grapefruit and toast and its REAL food! There is also a wonderful amount of support! It has been a bit slow but steady! I started a new job that has thrown my sleeping and eating clocks way off, so it has been a bit of a balancing act! I also have become a bit more comfortable with myself and my inner demons are smaller now! I just came to the point in my life and realized I have so many wonderful blessings, to let this take my spirit down.

Each week, I plan to come here and tell you how I did!

Thanks for your love and support!

Xxoo Christina

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you for writing this! You are not alone at all. Even though every history, every experience and every path is different...the journeys are similar and come back to being who we are and learning to love that! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete